What incentives: layered energy costs, tight monitoring of power usage, rewards (subsidies) to those who use energy efficient bulbs/ systems, punishments (taxes) on less efficient systems. Governments are decreed to have this as their main function, instead Indian government focuses on caste-/ religion-based quotas, blanket subsidies to the rich (petrol), criminal waste of tax-payer money supposedly on 'employment of the poor' (NREGA) etc.
Let us see what all can GoI do in this regard:
- tax petrol/ diesel
- yearly tax on cars depending on their energy/ fuel efficiency (higher tax for SUVs e.g.).
- tax fluorescent light bulbs, subsidize efficient ones
- tax ACs on yearly basis (pay yearly tax based on their energy usage and efficiency)
- offer cash for tree plantation and growing programs
- encourage and build public transport (not take bribes from Kinetic/ Honda to encourage 2-wheeler traffic on the road)
- subsidize energy efficient cooking ranges (taxes are based on the energy efficiency)
- buildings with ecologically friendly structures (more cross-wind, green areas, indoor water cooling, etc.)
What are your suggestions in this regard?